Thursday, April 2, 2020

Sweeney Todd

I have, of course, seen the stage production of Stephen Sondheim's dark story of revenge and murder, Sweeney Todd, and I've reviewed it twice.

But I had not seen the movie, with Johnny Depp in the title role and Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs Lovett, who, in the movie is Todd's lover, but in  the original stage show was played by Angela Lansbury, no way the "lover" type character.

It was an interesting, if horrendously bloody movie and I enjoyed it and am embarrassed to admit that.  This is more gory than most movies I have seen...perhaps the very worst scenes dealing with grinding the murdered bodies into meat for Mrs. Lovett's meat pies.

(Thank goodness we had, at the same time, a squirrel circus going on outside the back door as a distraction!)

Alan Rickman is the judge who kidnaps Todd's wife and daughter and sends Todd into prison on a trumped up charge.  I've loved Rickman in everything and he is perfectly nasty and his death perhaps one of the bloodiest.

I don't know enough about special effects and directors choices and what means what, but I really liked the mix of black and white, color, muted color and one-color-only filming.  Not sure what I was supposed to glean from the way it appeared on my screen, but I at least noticed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment