Sunday, March 29, 2020

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I really had zero expectations about this movie and other than knowing Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio were movie star and stuntman (and not knowing which was which), I came into this movie cold.  Also, Ned loves it and Marta thought it boring.

Of course, I fell asleep about 20 minutes in and woke up maybe 20 minutes later.  but I was determined to see the whole 3 hour movie, so fixed a pot of coffee.  About the  time I got to where I woke up after my brief nap is when I got hooked into the movie and by the end of it, I loved it.

I chose this photo because I've eaten at Musso & Frank's
without realizing what an iconic restaurant it is!


This movie is Quentin Tarantino's opportunity to examine what might have happened if the Manson family had gone to the wrong house, but it is filmed in such a way that all the way through the 3 hours you know that at the end Sharon Tate et al. are going to be murdered.

It tells the story of TV star Rick Dalton (DiCaprio) and his stunt man Cliff Booth (Pitt), as Dalton's career is starting to fade. It shows a lot of backstage Hollylwood, while filming is going on (cars driving through a western set, for example), Dalton's mental breakdown when he flubs lines, the rising little girl actress (Julia Butters), who is terrific as the actress and precocious little girl.

Booth visits the ranch where the Manson family lives, he accepts a challenge by Bruce Lee, convinced he can beat him up (he can't).

Just the whole thing is so Hollywood, and the ending totally unexpected.  As I said, I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment